Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sucking noises

Yes - I'm at work in Japan... blogging. I have about 10 minutes before the next meeting and am just taking a break. Took the subway today. It was busy but we weren't pushed in. I was going out of the heart of Tokyo to a suburb so there were fewer people going that way. The subway trains going into Tokyo were packed though. Tomorrow I get to take the subway to Sagamihara - no train, Holden. I'll have to catch that this weekend. I'm sure going to lose weight on this trip if I don't get the hang of eating noodles and rice with chopsticks! The noodles come in a bowl of broth and they put a little seaweed on top - so the noodles are swimming and very slippery! Today I was slurping noodles up and got noodle splash on my glasses. One little tidbit for Holden on toilets... the ones here at 3M Japan have two features. 1. A button you can push to make a fake flushing sound. Sounds quite realistic but it goes on and on and on like the toilet is broken or something. 2. A button labeled "Powerful deordorizer". I haven't pushed this one yet but I'm curious. As for your investigations, you guys are seeing more of Japan than I am - great job learning all about this place. It really is amazing. About your questions. I don't think this venue is the right place to ask about excuses for getting sloshed. That will have to wait until later. You asked, "Is it true that alot of men make sucking noises while taking breaths when giving a speech?". This is a very big thing and it happens all the time. Usually it's not while giving the speech, but in response to something another person said. They do not say "No" in Japan (though there is a word for it, it's rarely used and is quite harsh). Instead they use other words to defer, like "that will be difficult", "maybe", "we can discuss that another time". Or, they give a big pause, shake their head, and make a sucking noise through their teeth as if they were saying, "Not sure that will happen anytime soon." Gotta go. At least I'm relaxing into this whole adventure! I'll skype with you guys tonight when I get back to the hotel (in the morning for you). Miss you! Love you lots. Mom

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading this......I have learned more about Japan in 2 days that in my whole life, I think. Things I would never have even thought about! but, I wonder......do the ladies wear the same kind of underwear that we girls do? How do they just squat and go?
Is splatter an issue? How about odor? Austyn said "Their bottoms would get really sore if they don't use paper!" (Gee - I must be related to you guys!)

I love you all....Keep on blogging, everyone!

Unknown said...

and "Mike" is me - Grama Joy - I don't know right now how to change that!