Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Parking and mushrooms

Holden - I know I told you a little about cars... The car situation is different in each country I've been to, but they are all overcrowded and have too much traffic. In Japan they drive on the left and you cannot buy a car unless you have a legal place to park it. In Taiwan they drive wherever they wish (supposed to drive on the right) and lots of people drive scooters so they can find more places to park. In Singapore they drive on the left and there is not as much traffic as in the other places, but it's getting worse and there is little room to expand on the island. In Seoul they drive on the right and the traffic and parking is terrible. Yesterday when we left the 3M parking lot we saw a line of cars bumper to bumper - touching. Someone was pushing the front car. I thought is was due to car trouble. Actually, I was told that's just how they park and get their cars out. They go to the first car in the line, open it, put it in neutral, then push it about a car's length. Then they co to the next car in line and push it up to the first car. They continue doing this until they get to their own car - then they drive out. I saw a guy push 4 cars to get his out. It sounds like this happens everywhere! My friend told me he pushed over 14 cars to get his out. So everyone leaves their cars open so they can do this. Very interesting - and very crowded! They also have lifts to park cars higher. This one works like a ferris wheel for your car.
Sydney - I know you are enjoying mushrooms lately. I have discovered more varieties of mushrooms than I've seen in my entire life! In both Japan and in Korea I've had an entire dish of just mushrooms all sauted together. There might be 8 diferent kinds of mushrooms in one dish! They come in all shapes, sizes and shades of color. I have a favorite one that looks like a little umbrella when it's sliced - very yummy. Also, do you remember me writing about a very yummy little fruit in Taiwan that nobody knew the English word for? I had one in Korea. At first I just picked up this little ball that looked like astrawberry with hard, alligator like skin. I asked the chef what it was and he told me Lychee (or Litchi) fruit. I thought I'd try one. I cracked open the leathery outside and found the same fruit I had in Taiwan. It's very prized in China. Here's a picture. The fruit inside is whitish and juicy.
Wish you were able to taste one! Love you both. Mom.

No comments: