Wednesday, October 17, 2007

No evening adventure

Sorry to report that there was no adventure tonight. My friend decided he would drive us to the tower AND back. I told him we would be fine, but he insisted. So, I was driven to the tallest building in the world - Taipei 101. The engineering is really amazing. The elevator is the fastest in the world and goes to the top of the tower in37 seconds. You barely feel it but your ears pop. Here are some stats if you're interested... http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=100765
Driving in Taipei is very intersting. The lines painted on road seem just like mere suggestions more than anything else. Nobody pays attention to the lanes unless it's on a freeway. Also, there are MILLIONS of these scooters (no motorcycles) and they swarm around all the cars and busses, like a million busy bees. It's quite crazy. Here is a picture of one...
And here is how they park. They line up on every street and sidewalk...
So, no adventure for me tonight. I really need some excitement - besides the food, that is. Which reminds me, I've had some interesting fruit here. One we still can't identify an English name for, but another one I like is Dragon Fruit! This is a cactus fruit and it can have either white flesh or red. I had the white. It's very mild and soft - delicious drizzled with chocolate sauce. (OK, what isn't.)
So tomorrow I'm off to Singapore. I have a little time to catch up on St. Paul work in the morning and then off for a 4+ hour flight (and an additional hour traffic and 3 hours in airports.) See you in Singapore.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So - Michael would say that Singapore traffic is worse than Billings traffic? I bet Jacob would like one of those scooters. What is the price over there? as much as a car here? and, can you buy some of the fruit to bring home? I imagine it would have to be canned, not fresh, but I'm sure the family would like to taste it, chocolate or not. I love you. get some rest, ok? Mom