Thursday, October 11, 2007

Caffeine!!

Oh boy do I need caffeine. I don't think it's as much jet lag (though there might be that as well) as just having a couple of LONG days. Andy wanted to know what work was like for me here... My job here consists of many things, but most stuff can be gathered into these groups: - work with IT in each country and present to them/learn from them - work with the 3M clients that use our software and give presentations to them - conduct interviews with selected clients (groups of 3-4 at a time) - meet with upper management to get their input, direction, etc. Yesterday - Up at 3:30 AM. Couldn't sleep due to mostly nerves. (Did Qigong, worked on my presentation, left the hotel at 8:00.) Went to Tokyo 3M headaquarters. Meetings all day. First they presented Sumitomo 3M to me (tha's the official name of 3m in Japan). Then they presented on their IT department. Next, I presented my group to their department. We had some time after lunch to review our upcoming trip/agendas/people to interview. I met with a Technical Director. Then we had to translate all my interview materials into Japanese. (The only country we will do this for.) We had about an hour to catch up on all email and it was off to dinner. Home around 8:30. Skype. Bed. By the way - it's been funny to watch people try to pronounce "Froemke". They just can't do it. A few people that are very good in English will get close if I say it slowly several times. We usually just end up laughing. Normally in Japan you would add the word "san" to the end of your family name, so I would be Froemke-san. But they can't say it, so they call me Julia-san. Today - up at 4:00 AM. Qigong, shower, prepare for the day. Out the door by 7:00. Two trains and a taxi later we are at Sagamihara by 8:50. They present the operations in this location to me. I then have a presentation to their laboratory techncial community. Another meeting. Lunch. Then I'm the main attraction at their "Modeling and Simulation" team meeting. Three interviews afterward and I'm blogging my day to you. After this it's off to dinner and 90 minutes back to the hotel. A different group of people are taking me out tonight - to an official Japanese sushi restaurant. They're excited. It seems as if some foreigners don't want to eat sushi. (Do the kids know that sushi is raw fish?) I just told them easy on the wasabi and I'll be fine. Then, up again early tomorrow to take the long trip to Sagamihara again. It's interesting watching the more subtle customs here. I'm glad I read as much as I did - though there is still so much more to learn. For example, when you are at a restaurant and they ask you what you like, if you tell them you like a specific dish they will order it for everyone to share. So, unless you are allergic you just say something like "anything is fine". They also wait for their "honored guest" to go first, then they all follow. If you don't know what to do with all the dishes put in front of you then you start with something simple (a bite of rice) and then they will start and you can watch what they do and follow them. What's this sauce for? How do you eat this thing? Is this meant to be eaten or is it decoration? Finally, when you are all poured a glass of sake or wine you raise your glass to a toast. Instead of saying "Cheers" you say "Kampai!" Everyone really does relax after you get them out of the office and put a drink in their hand. So - that's my day. Meetings Meetings Meetings. (Didn't you know that's what 3M stands for?) It's interesting though because I'm the sole focus of all these meetings while I'm in Japan. I'm not used to that! It sure keeps me on my toes. Now, I was supposed to make notes on my interviews and I've spent the entire time blogging! I have about 20 Japanese business cards in front of me and I dont' know which ones belonged to which faces. How confusing. I can't keep all the names straight. Andy - I'll get online when I get home. If I don't see you on Skype I'll give your phone a quick ring and let you know I'm there. Hope to see you soon. I miss you. Love - Me

No comments: