Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lost in Tokyo?

OK - it's late so this will need to be quick. I had an authentic Japanese meal that started off by leaving my shoes at the door. Beer starter, sushi, salad with an egg in the middle. (Warning to Mom - be prepared for the next part.) The egg had a slightly cooked white, raw yolk and was cold. Not very appetizing. The raw yolk served as your salad dressing after you poked into it. Then there was more sushi (tuna and salmon), stuff they couldn't translate for me but I ate it anyway, squid, soup, pickled vegetables, fried pork, rice pudding with shrimp, a weird fermented sticky glue substance with a strange texture (texture is very important in Japanese food), a dish called "cat's tongue", but thankfully it wasn't, rice, it just kept coming! I did get a little dish of ice cream at the end - very good. Doing much better with the chopsticks though there were some laughs when the more slippery food refused to stay in the chopsticks long enough to get to my mouth. I should be pretty good in three more weeks. Wonderful conversation and a great group of guys. I had a very good time. Then it was back on the subway to get to the hotel. I convinced my friend, Kumakura, that he could take his regular stop and I could make my way back on my own. He has really been going out of his way to pick me up in the mornings and take me back at night. The subway systems are still difficult for me and there are several different companies, ticketing methods, transfers, express/local, etc... So, I convinced him and he left. I rode to my stop and got off at Nagatacho just like i was supposed to, but I must have taken a different exit up to the street. (I think there are 3 or 4.) I had no idea where I was. Thank goodness there are policemen everywhere and I know how to say "Excuse me, where is..." in Japanese. Walk more. Ask again. I was in the general area but I could not recognize anything. FINALLY I saw the bridge I needed to take and I was back in no time. So, I wasn't really lost, I just took the scenic route. No better way to learn your way around. But, it's 10:30 and I'm exhausted (and a little queasy). Need to get up early and do it all again (except the wandering around part) tomorrow.

No comments: