Wednesday, October 10, 2007

In the Minority

I stand out in this crowd. It's very difficult being thrust into the role as a minority all of a sudden. I've been the oddball before in my life - the examples are numerous. I've also been working in a mostly male world for my entire career - that I'm used to. But being an American woman in a corporate technical field in Japan tops it all. (Not to mention there are still major issues with female discrimination here. I was coached on this before I left.) Japan does not have a lot of minorities living here - it's something like 98% Japanese - so visually I really stick out. Nothing stressful. It's just very obvious and, to be honest, it just feels weird. Learning experience number 53. Long day. Off to dinner then an early morning in Sagamihara. (Just South of Tokyo if you were wondering.) Julia

No comments: