Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Discoveries

Discoveries for the afternoon... In Japan they drive on the left side of the street. Therefore, many other things follow this pattern as well, like walking in a hallway and going down escalators. Several times now I have gone to the top of an escalator I expected to be going down, only to find people coming up at me. Also, I seem to always be going against the flow of normal foot traffic - because I walk on the right side of the busy hallway. I saw two Geishas today! They were quite amazing to see. I've seen pictures but it's quite another thing to see them up close. Their faces looked like porcelain - at first I thought they were masks! You should read up on Geishas - they're still an integral part of Japanese society (and it's not all about what the adults think it is). There you go, Andy. Explain that one to the kids. What else... I learned that the big, heavy elevator doors in this hotel do NOT re-open if you stick your arm in the middle to hold it for someone. And I learned how women bow properly. (I'll need this tomorrow.) And finally, the credit card company will call with claims of fradulent activity if a Lindstrom girl buys an expensive jacket in Tokyo. And finally - Dinner. Wandered into the authentic Japanese restaurant. Waitresses were in kimonos and spoke no English. Smallest thing on the menu was around $75. I gestured "small". They brought me the perfect meal - the best bowl of noodles I've ever had. Parting words - don't expect this much blogging tomorrow. It's all about work.

No comments: