Sunday, October 28, 2012

Broke the loo

Today Sydney and I were working on organizing The Depot at camp. Essentially The Depot is the junk pile that has been added to for many, many years. Pipe, stove chimneys, lots of chicken wire, tubing, old gas containers, sheets of aluminum from an old camper that was cut up. You get the picture. I told Em that we would organize it. This will take days to complete.

The first task was to cut steps in the hillside so we can get in and out easily. Sydney did a great job of this. Then we pounded log posts into the hillside to create a pipe storage rack. Then it was time to move and organize the pipe. The first three pieces were long and very heavy. We were doing well until the third piece slipped back on us...

Then there's the composting toilet (which I will not take a picture of). Complete open-air with a little screen for privacy. Instead of walking down the hillside, you walk onto a platform between two trees. You're then in the treehouse loo. Below you is a column of logs that make up the pit that extends from the seat to the forest floor 8 feet below.

When the pipe slipped it hit the bottom corner of that 8 foot column of waste and sawdust. (Very thankful for the sawdust! We add a handful each time we use it.) Two logs popped off of one corner and stuff was starting to spill out. And I will tell you that they are needing a new toilet as that 10 feet is essentially filled to about 90% capacity.

Ugh. My next job was to get some 6 inch nails and hammer away until I thought it would hold together. Looks good for now. Cross your fingers. That's a job I don't want again!

Julia



1 comment:

Grama Joy said...

I am now more thankful than ever for my clean, smooth, comfortable toilet, enough water to flush it, the fact that I can go in with a book and read while I "do my business", and for Cottonelle wipes. I am very spoiled!